Tuesday, November 23, 2010

kiri dalena

I was lucky enough to capture artist-activist Kiri Dalena's sculpting space (shared with her mother Julie Lluch and sisters Sari & Aba) while she was preparing for their family's first four-woman exhibit "Home Works", shown at the Alliance Francaise de Manille last October. Check it out! :)


Gabriel Krista Lluch Dalena (Kiri)
(Quezon City, Philippines)

Occupation: Filmmaker and Sculptor

Favorite toy as a child: It was a pink pink plastic doll with eyes painted silver and none of her parts were moveable. My sisters tell me she was creepy but I loved her dearly. I named the doll Waling-Waling, after a flower.

Favorite toy now: A gun metal toy and another doll. The gun hangs over my bed. The doll is in my closet. My parents surprised me with the doll on my 6th birthday. I've moved around all these years but I insisted on keeping her even if she has lost her eyes and most of her hair. That birthday is still the best day of my life.

Top 5 movies: 
Biyaya ng Lupa
Red Balloon
Forbidden Games
I Am Cuba
La Strada

Top 3 books:
Philippine Cross-Section (edited by Maximo Ramos and Florentino B. Valeros
Almanac foe Manilenos (Nick Joaquin)
Salvaged Poems (Emman Lacaba)

Music you listen to: I'm listening to Kundiman now. Nicanor Abelardo. Or rather I tinkle with the piano keys every so often pretending I can play Mutya ng Pasig.

Favorite websites: 
criticine.com
angelfloresjr.multiply.com
bulatlat.com

When you're not busy with work, what do you do in your free time? I love to sleep. I also enjoy having coffee near the breakwaters in Manila during sundown.

If you were to choose a different job, what would it be? I'll probably enjoy working as a cook. Or an archivist.

If you can have any super power, what would it be? I don't mind having China.

What's the most important life lesson you've learned so far? Protect the center

Most inspiring statment/moment (heard/said/read): The Future is Unwritten from Joe Strummer

directed and edited by Kiri Dalena

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting work. Some of it makes me want to watch A Clockwork Orange.

    That has to be the best answer ever to the super power question, really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her answer too! LOL indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her work! And yes, China would be really good to have.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...