Thursday, December 2, 2010

gilda cordero-fernando

Her story "A Wilderness of Sweets", a heartbreaking tale of a young girl's experience of war, blew me away when I read it back in college... been a fan ever since. I was really excited when she agreed to have her place photographed. 

We spent an an entire rainy afternoon just talking about life, love, and art. She asked me if I can contribute a picture to support an article she was writing, of course I said yes! Check it out here. :) That afternoon was one of the most enlightening days of my life!

She's an award-winning writer, artist, cultural icon, and an inspiration. Enter the realm of the colorful, warm, and utterly hip Gilda Cordero-Fernando!



*Tita Gilda is so original that she created her own questions to answer in the blog! Hehe. ;) 

Gilda Cordero-Fernando 
(Quezon City, Philippines) 

Age: 80 going on 30 

Sex: Female (latent cougar) 

Status: In antique relationship with same old boyfriend for 58 years 

Occupation:  Writer, late blooming artist, erstwhile publisher, and theater producer (lugi, of course)

Interests: The arts, Filipiniana in all forms, fashion, learning from young people 

Favorite toy as a child: A teddy bear that we buried 30 years after because the stuffing was coming out

Favorite toy now: The boy-toy I married 59 years ago and still love above all

Aversion: Boxes and labels 

Top 5 movies: La  Strada (Fellini), Babette's Feast, Seven Samurai (Kurosawa), Ganito Kami Noon (Eddie Romeo), Andg Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros

Books presently on my bedside table: Rage by Alfredo Roces, Tagbanwa, Palaspas

Book read lately: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (Pulitzer Prize), Reinventing the Body Resurrecting the Soul by Deepak Chopra, the trilogy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  

Music you listen to (and dance to): The classics, tangos, Phil. bands, Susan Boyle, Norah Jones

What frightens you most: Any machine!

Ambition: To join a cosplay

When you're not busy with work, what do you do? Hang out with young friends. Why? You learn so much from them as long as you know how to listen. I prefer them to old people whom I'll soon see anyway, while it will eons before I see my friends again in my next lifetime.

If you were to choose a different job, what would it be? I'd be a fashion designer of cuckoo clothes. 

If you can have any super power, what would it be? I'd be a billionaire and fund all ground-breaking theater pieces and projects. 

What's the most important life lesson you've learned so far? Not to follow everybody else's advice. To always be true to one's own self. 

Most inspiring statement/moment (heard/said/read): "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

13 comments:

  1. hihi cosplay. ;P

    gusto ko yung cabinet niya :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super love! :) Hi... Hello... Can I call her tita? hihi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful home! All that culture and antiques brought to life with the mix of colors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Camz! Ang kulit ng mga sagot niya no? :) Yung cabinet with the painted Philippine history ba yung trip mo or the one with 4 women?

    Pauline! Sobrang astig talaga ni Tita Gilda! Initially I called her Miss Gilda, pero she wanted me to drop the formality and call her Lola. E hindi bagay ang Lola kasi hip na hip talaga siya kaya Tita na lang. :)

    Hi Razielle! I loooove their garden too. :) Husband daw niya yung mahilig talaga sa halaman.

    Objects of Delirium, thanks! Keep on reading!

    Sporky, true! Their home is soooo interesting and cozy. And they always serve really good healthy food! Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sa earrings pa lang niya, nag-shine through na ang hip personality! Nice choice of subject, Myetch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the sculptures of women! :) ang expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far, my most favorite post of yours! She has an amazing home, and I can only dream of being half as hip as her when I'm 80 ;)

    Love the painted panels of the four women! And the vests!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Korina, ang kulit ng earrings niya di ba? Talagang sinuot pa niya yan for the shoot. Hehehe. :)

    Deej, I love the women sculptures too! Gawa sila ni Julie Lluch. Sana mafeature ko rin siya dito. :)

    Arriane, thanks for reading Anik-Anik Love! The four women painted on her cabinet doors are helpers in their home, if I remember it correctly. The vests truly define her coolness! Hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested to visit ms.gilda and have the same opportunity you had with her. how do i contct her?thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...